California Youth Connection (CYC), founded in 1988, is a non-profit youth-led organization that cultivates youth leadership to transform the foster care system through legislative, practice, and policy change. We implement our youth-led model through base-building and providing a strong foundation and support for diverse approaches to leadership. We believe outstanding people are the key to our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we recruit individuals without discrimination of race, national origin, religion, gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, prior conviction, arrest history, disability, marital status, veteran status or age
This position is responsible for managing the Y.O.U.T.H. Training Project, including the trainers’ certification and training opportunities through peer-led curriculum for annual conferences and stakeholder trainings. They also support our youth-led advocacy efforts and hold responsibility for building out curriculum for the professional development of staff and volunteer supporters.
Sacramento preferred but the location is flexible for candidates who possess a deep knowledge of CYC, YTP, and youth development.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
Y.O.U.T.H Training Project (YTP)
- Lead the development of a Y.O.U.T.H Training Project (YTP) certification process for CYC members and other systems-impacted young people to support the broader member-identified advocacy agenda.
- Support the development of youth-led action focused curriculum for stakeholders and policymakers.
- Build and maintain relationships to grow training opportunities for YTP trainers to engage with and educate external partners, stakeholders, and policymakers.
- Support training facilitators and the planning, development, and implementation of curriculum development and Training for Trainers.
Staff Education and Development
- Provide comprehensive T4T-like workshops that cover CYC’s youth-led advocacy model and training structure and values and for staff and key partners at scheduled times twice a year.
- Provide overview of CYC’s training structure and basic skills to all new staff within 60 days of their hire if a comprehensive T4T is not happening during that time.
- Collaborate and engage with staff, members, and supporters to ensure that all training and conference activities operate consistently and ethically within CYC’s mission and values through continuous learning and creative implementation.
- Draft quarterly Policy Update for distribution to chapters, supporters, staff, and Board of Directors with suggested youth action.
- Work with communications and evaluation staff to maintain CYC’s public image through electronic and print materials, and presentations.
- Monthly program reports for CDSS and other funders.
- Maintain an updated database of trainers, attendees, vendors, consultants, and evaluations to support continuous learning and creative implementation for trainings and conferences.
- Work closely with the Associate Executive Director to manage budget and deliverable expectations.
The Training and Technical Assistance Manager will have:
- At least four years of training, curriculum development and project management experience with youth-led processes and mobilizing staff and trainers with diverse skills and talents.
- Creative approach to the work that holds multiple perspectives and needs when implementing programs, including advocacy-focused projects.
- Ability to tailor training ideas and concepts into youth-friendly formats and present information to youth, volunteers, staff, and community stakeholders.
- Excellent multi-tasking and organizational skills with outstanding attention to detail and follow through.
- Excellent time management, project management, and delegation skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, Gmail, Google-Docs and Calendar, database programs, and other online information management.
- A current driver's license with at least 3 years driving experience, car (or access to transportation), automobile insurance, and cell phone.
- Strong commitment to the organization’s mission and values, including a love for working with young people and seeing them as the catalyst for change.
- Proactive, gets joy from seeing results, and a curiosity and love of continuous learning.
- Exercises good judgement and values healthy interpersonal workplace relationships.
Medical, Dental and Vision (includes chiropractic and acupuncture): 100% of employee premium covered
Paid Vacation: Starting at 2 weeks/year
Sick Leave: 12 days/year
Paid Holidays: 11 days, plus a weeklong closure at year-end
Retirement: Simple IRA up to 3% match
Life Insurance: $50,000 coverage
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job’s essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to travel by plane, train, bus, and rental cars; drive and transport young people; remain in the stationary position for long periods while operating a computer to create documents, conducting Internet research, sending and receiving email and participating in meetings; communicate on a telephone and in-person; read and write’ apply logic and focus attention in the presence of distractions.